The Sheriff: of Dallas County, Texas is elected by and is directly responsible to the citizens of Dallas County, Texas. The Sheriff holds the ultimate responsibility for the administration, command, and both internal and external operations of the Dallas County Sheriff’s Department. The Sheriff shall act as the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of Dallas County, act as the Executive Officer of the County and District Courts of Dallas County, and supervise the Dallas County Jails and all Dallas County prisoners.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, traffic enforcement, courtroom security, warrant execution, inmate housing, patrol of unincorporated areas.
Unlike municipal law enforcement agencies, the Sheriff has jurisdiction in all areas of the county including cities within Dallas County.
The Dallas County Sheriff's Department has an operating budget of 132 million dollars. We employ more than 2,250 personnel and run seven different jail systems with the average population of 7,300 inmates.
Lupe Valdez was elected Sheriff of Dallas County, Texas on November 4, 2004. She took the rank of the highest ranking law enforcement officer in the County of Dallas on January 1, 2005. Sheriff Valdez is the only female Sheriff in the State of Texas. She is also the only Hispanic Female Sheriff in the United States. Sheriff Valdez has been in Law Enforcement for more than 30 years both Federal and State. On November 4, 2008, she was re-elected to serve another four years. Prior to becoming Sheriff, Lupe worked to protect the lives and property of American Citizens at home and abroad in homeland security, antiterrorism investigations, criminal law enforcement. She has been featured in several books by well-known authors.
While Sheriff, she has worked diligently to address deep structural problems that developed over the preceding 20 years. Understaffed, overpopulated, medically deprived and conditions that were unsanitary. In the past three years, with the partnering of Parkland Hospital, Dallas County Constables, County Probation Office and the District Attorney’s Office, she has succeeded in accomplishing many of the problems that plagued the Department such as:
· Hiring 400 new detention service officers
· Expanding the highway patrol system to include over 78 miles of in-County highways
· Begun construction on new South Tower jail facility
· Improved the quality of healthcare for the mentally ill inmates
· Located probation absconders, thus removing the most wanted and dangerous individuals from the neighborhoods
Lupe’s commitment to public service continues by having served as member of:
· DISD Big Brothers/Big Sisters Program
· Women in Federal Law Enforcement Association
· Hispanic Women’s Network of Texas
· North Texas Crime Commission
· North Texas Police Chief’s Association
· Texas Jail Association
· National Sheriff’s Association
· Major County Sheriff’s Association
· Texas Sheriff’s Association
· Oak Cliff Lions Club
· Irving Women’s Network
· Sheriff’s Association of Texas 2009-2010 Legislative Committee
· Sheriff’s Association of Texas 2009-2010 TCLEOSE Advisory Committee
Since taking office, Lupe has received several awards including some of the following:
· Women’s Leadership Exchange-Compass Award
· Citigroup-Women Changing America Award
· Dallas Morning News-Distinguished Women Lecture Series
· Delta Sigma Theta Sorority (Dallas Chapter) – Political Awareness and Involvement Award
· Haggar Clothing – Women in Diversity
· 2005 Outstanding Hispanic Women of America
· Texas NAACP Award
· 2005 Women Leaders of America
· 2005 Hispanic Leaders of America
· WCA 2007 Woman of the Year
· 2007 Elected Official of the Year – National Association of Social Worker’s
· Girls Inc., “She Knows Where She’s Going Award” – April 12, 2007
· SMU Profiles in Leadership Award – February 28, 2008
This site was built and is maintained by the employees of this Department.
The Dallas County Sheriff's Department badge is a trademarked logo and cannot be used without the expressed written consent of the Dallas County Sheriff.
Please report any problems with this site to the webmaster.